I decoupaged this plate with a picture of our dog Chico since his birthday is on Valentine's Day! It's hard for me to believe, but this cute little guy is 7 years old this year.
A clear plate could be Mod Podged with any picture and is so quick and easy to do!
You will need:
- Mod Podge
- Clear glass plate
- Tissue Paper (Patterned and plain)
- Templates (Round objects such as jars or lids)
- Rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner (To clean your plate)
- Foam Brush
- Sand paper
What to do:
- Use a template, a size slightly smaller than the inside center circle of your plate to trace and cut out your photo.
- Find another template a tad bit larger than your photo and use it to cut out a circle of the solid colored tissue paper.
- Lay the plate on top of the patterned tissue paper and trace around it one inch larger than your plate.
- Clean the back side of your plate really good (Yes, the back...you will be applying everything to the back).
- Lay your plate upside-down and apply Mod Podge to center back circle part of your plate with your foam brush. Quickly place your photo, face down, onto the center of the plate. Press and smooth out all air bubbles with your fingers. Wipe away any excess dried up glue that is on the glass around the photo.
- Apply Mod Podge over the back of the photo where the solid color tissue paper will be placed. Place the paper centered on the back of the plate and carefully smooth it down (It rips easily so do this very gently).
- Repeat with the patterned paper and allow to dry for about 15 minutes.
- Use the sand paper to sand away the excess paper. Sand downward in one direction.
- Give the back of the plate a coat of Mod Podge to seal and let it dry.
One important thing to remember: Wipe your plate clean with a damp cloth and don't submerge it in water :)
I'll tell you more about Chico's story during the week and show you how he's grown...Stay tuned :)
ps. You can now read more about Chico here.